Sunday, June 7, 2009

Nausea and Tourism

After this past week, I am proudly able to check-off a few more items on my Ukraine “to-do” list in order to ensure a complete experience. One thing I am now able to say I accomplished successfully is getting travel-sick. It seems a necessary component to fully experience life in another country for any extended period of time, and one I hope I won’t have to re-visit. I have spent one solid day feeling pretty nauseous and tasting every food I ate twice over, and almost four days now after that running to the washroom trying to ensure that nothing I eat lasts too long inside my system. Can’t say it’s been fun, but I definitely have come to appreciate certain things more. I appreciate Luba, Sacha and Tanya for trying to do everything they can to keep me healthy; the Canadian healthcare system; my parents for calling and receiving phone calls at any hour just to talk and see how I am; Jen’s company on otherwise long and boring days; and home-cooked food.

Apart from this, what was supposed to be my first full week at the internat became a short week of growing slowly more acquainted with the girls and their routine. It has not become any less overwhelming, but certain things are at least more familiar. Slowly I am learning the names of the girls, mannerisms of each, and things they enjoy. To my, Miri’s and Jen’s delight these girls LOVE to dance. Dance parties have quickly become a daily tradition, and some girls express a lot of personality. Suffice it to say that videos will be necessary.

Scott came for a visit on Friday, and it was nice to see him again and meet his wife. You forget how much you appreciate talking to people who knew you before you came here, and I really enjoyed being able to share some experiences with someone who could see it first hand. Scott and Megan were able to visit the internat as well, and left to continue their trip later that day.

Yesterday our group of Canadian students (Miri included this time) spent some time in Lviv. After climbing more stairs in one day than I have for the past 21 years of my life, we managed to see some pretty amazing (and VERY old!) architecture and city sights. It is the biggest city in western Ukraine, only two hours away, and really beautiful to visit.

Today will be devoted to relaxation and preparation for my trip to the mountains tomorrow. I’ve also devoted a solid chunk of time to listening to Harry Potter audiobooks recently, and am thoroughly enjoying them all over again! Because my eye-lids are shutting on me as I write this, I think I’ll take a nap before I head out to do some grocery shopping…pa-pa for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment