Friday, February 27, 2009

Feeling Like the "Other"

Like others in the BB group, I have delayed discussion about negative experiences with the program thus far. Acknowledging my own faults (being a worry-wart, for example) comes surprisingly more naturally than involving others in my rants of negativity. Something about sharing negative opinions of others makes me feel more vulnerable, like I am an awful judgemental human perpetuating the cyclic distrust in fellow humans that many seem to cherish. However, part of this blogging endeavour is sharing the reality of my experiences, and as promised in my first post, I will continue to be honest.

My intial experience at Worth a Second Look, a thrift store associated with The Working Centre, was pleasant. I was welcomed with open arms. Everyone wanted to know my name, shake my hand and show me the ropes. I was grateful for their hospitality and warmth as a newcomer, and felt optimistic about volunteering there in future.

On my next visit, as I contently worked on a mini-project assigned to me, a group of staff and volunteers began to gather and talk about life, and the conversation quickly turned to previous experiences with drugs, alcohol, the police and other mischeivous adventures. Standing there amidst this I felt outside of whatever understanding they shared. I was the innocent girl who couldn't relate to their life because I haven't seen it first hand. I felt awkward. I felt like the "other" who didn't fit.

No one approached me saying, "you don't know what it is like to be us," but my silent presence in this discussion, and inability to share any experiences of the like reverberated in my mind. Maybe they didn't even notice me, and maybe they were thinking the exact same thing I was, but either way I felt small amidst this group.

My optimism tells me that while I can never fully understand someone else's life and experiences unless I have walked in their shoes, entering into dialogue with an empathetic mindset can go a long way in creating solidarity. Something about this conversation, however, made me feel so much like the "other" that my dialogue was non-existant. It made me consider what I really expected.

In my placement in Ukraine this summer, I am trying to prepare myself for what it will feel like to be the other. Surrounded by orphan girls with no parents, and often associated diabilities, I know again I will feel outside of the understanding they share with each other. My hope however, is to not lose my optimism that dialogue is still possible. I may have felt small and outside of the group at The Working Centre, and while life will continue to put me in these situations during my placement in Ukraine and elsewhere, I hope I always strive to enter dialogue in the face of diversity such that solidarity or any bridge of understanding may be established.

4 comments:

  1. If only you knew how much I am sure you've spoken for so many others, being the 'other'. Thanks for saying what I couldn't, and know you're not the only one. You've got a lot going for you, you're bright, beautiful, innocent...but there is so much that you can teach people, so much you can show them through your experiences. On this trip, I know you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at the emotions I felt after reading your post. It brought me back to the time when I first moved to Canada. There's nothing more awkward and lonely for a teenager not to be able to join into a conversation, not fitting in, feeling like an outsider, not knowing what others were talking about and simply standing silently on the side, I think of it as part of my life story. I was pushed to become stronger as a person that way. Opening up yourself is a great first step in establishing those understanding and relationships. Thank you so much for sharing, Jessica. I'm very grateful for these blogs. Love your words & posts as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At WASL, sometimes I feel the exact same way... it definitly can be awkward and such... but at the same time, I think that's the part of WASL that I like the best... just engage yourself as best you can in their conversations... and instead of trying to add to the topic, maybe just ask questions and learn from their experiences... it's pretty awesome what you might learn! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also take into consideration what Rebecca said the other day at TWC... that no matter how different we are, we all have the same worries and the same emotional issues (like money and boys). I know exactly how you feel about being an outsider. Living in Montreal where I wasn't really wanted being the Anglophone from the West and it was hard, but you do find friends and you do find likeminded people.

    ReplyDelete