Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sharing the Wealth

I'm one of the most frugal people I know. Sales are my favourite times to shop, I go to restaurants with my friends and order water, and my parents force me to spend my Christmas and birthday money on myself otherwise it would go straight to the bank. Don't get me wrong, I love buying new things, and eating out... but unless there is a reason to do it, I feel guilty. There is a constant looming cloud over my head of the bills I have to pay (i.e. tuition, rent), and I hate seeing that bank account update remind me of my decreasing funds.

Beyond Borders is posing a certain amount of stress on me money-wise. Big factors: spending money to go away, not making money this summer, and the little expenses that add up along the way. The outcome: I am finding myself at an all time high of finance panic. I have money in the bank account, but most of it is on loan from my parents, and that is an unsettling feeling. This makes me feel poor.

Poor: Having little or no wealth and few or no possessions

I read that definition, and know I am hardly poor. I am amongst the wealthiest sect of the world, even though I'm not a millionaire. Sure I have accumulating expenses, but this does not bring me close to the reality of being poor. Having a roof over my head, and my own bed to sleep on (complete with a pillow!) is more than many can attest to. This fact is something I remind myself of when I begin to stress about my economical situation. I am certainly very glad that I am frugal, and not wasting money unnecessarily on a regular basis, but I am also very fortunate and far from financial destitution.

This weekend I had a fundraising party with friends- an excuse to all get together, and if they felt they had some money to spare for a donation there was a box on the table. Knowing that we are all university/college students, or working full-time for the first time, I was not expecting much revenue towards my trip to come from this evening. I was wrong. My friends showered that donation box with an overwhelming amount of generosity that really touched me. I was reminded of the amazing people I have in my life in a big way. But what struck me possibly more than this was their realization of how much these contributions meant for many people who have so much less.

In our last class together Jess DB (a fellow BB), had a slide on traveling wisely. One point on this slide was being reasonable when shopping and bargaining prices. I find that I can be so consumed by my need to save that I forget there are other people who need that money even more. My friends showed me that this realization resonates with them, their generosity marked this. I am hoping that during this trip, while volunteering at the working centre, I am able to shake some reservations on spending money so that I am able to be more generous to those who need it more.

4 comments:

  1. Disclaimer: After re-reading this, I realize that I have made myself out to be a bit cold-hearted and greedy. Please dont think I am completely hardened to those less fortunate. I am money conscious because I feel I have to be, but I have never wanted to be rich, just comfortable enough to meet needs. I've always hoped that in the future I will be able to have enough revenue to support my needs and work with those who are less fortunate. This post, however, speaks to my ability to help those less fortunate now, without having to wait until I am more financially comfortable. So, to reiterate, the realization I am placing emphasis on is not to make money and save it all for me for life... but to be conscious of my ability to share whatever wealth I have beginning in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your frugality may have something to do with your dutch side :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. being money conscious is the way to go!(so long as you don't let it get in the way of having fun, which you don't). It'll be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could take a page out of your frugal book. I don't seem to have much will power when it comes to saying no to new shiny things.

    I stole your idea and had my own party during Reading Week and had a very similar experience. It's amazing how people really come through for you when you need them. My friends that couldn't help me financially came over and helped cook and that was almost as helpful as money on that particular day.

    I have no idea how to barter. Does anyone actually feel comfortable bartering? I feel like Im insulting them by asking them to take less money for their goods.

    ReplyDelete