Sunday, March 22, 2009

Simplicity

I realize today that I am almost the most behind on blogs, and I feel really bad about this. It is not that I dont care, and not that I don't have anything to say. More than anything it is that I am a perfectionist. I want them to be perfect, and I always want them to reach people... to be written well and to stand out. I think I always want to have something profound to say, and part of the Beyond Borders experience is teaching me that this is exactly what I need to negate.

I want to get back to the basics. Like I said in my first post, this isn't about divulging life changing revelations, it is about being honest; and honestly, I think the big stuff is to come. Everything I am experiencing and blogging about now seems miniscule compared to what we are all attempting to prepare ourselves for this summer. Trying to find something profound to say is hard because more and more I am finding that change comes in baby steps. So here are a few examples of little things I've noticed or experienced throughout my time at the Working Centre or life recently that have made me stop and reflect.


  • While working at WASL a fellow volunteer described how keeping busy at the Working Centre after work keeps him from getting into alcohol. Thoughts: everyone has a story, and it is beautiful how humble work can open people towards one another
  • Ahead of me in the crowd of students walking through campus someone casually tossed their Tim's cup aside. Someone else went to pick up the litter before I could reach it. Thoughts: When you are frustrated, you are not alone
  • While at WASL, there was a note on the whiteboard in backroom that read, "Joe has been to school 8 days in a row!" (Joe was not the actual name). Thoughts: accomplishments should always be celebrated, always

Time and time again we have heard that we can not change the world. But when small moments like this accumulate and influence other experinces the growth is exponential. While life happens around each individual they grow and learn... and each experience impacts the shaping of what we all become. So while these may seem simple, they made me stop and think, and even this seemingly inconsequential influence has made a difference.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post jessica! I could absolutely relate to it. I had a very hard time with my blogs as well, because I wanted all my posts to be perfect and contain significant life changing lessons. But now I've finally let go and started writing about my thoughts, whether they make perfect sense or not, because writing in itself helped me carify my thoughts.

    No one said we should know all the answers and contain all the wisdom on this earth. The biggest learing experience is yet to come and really, these blogs we're doing now are meant to help us practice how to analyize and articulate issues in ways that make sense to us. So this way, we're more prepared when we're thrown into the big situation. Thats what I think.

    You said everything so well on this post, I wish I had written it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I absolutely loved this post! You are right on the mark when you said that life is not always about the big things, it is often the accumulation of the little things that are important. This summer there will be big things happening in our lives, but these changes and experiences may not seem huge when they happen, it is important to not get to caught up in waiting for a big thing to happen because then we miss the beautiful small things in life that can have such a large impact. Thank you for your post, it is a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, to re-iterate what Katie and Maryam have said, this is beautifully written! I love what you have found, it is the small things that matter most and I believe it is a special gift to notice small things that are happening. Like Katie said, sometimes we get so caught up in looking for something to knock us off our feet, that we forget to pay attention to the small things that just went floating by. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really slow in getting to your blog, and I am truly regretting that. This post made me tear up! It's beautiful. Such simple things can make such an impact. Your blog does reach people and it does stand out. Thank you.

    And as an aside ... you were probably never as far behind as I was lol!!

    ReplyDelete