Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Lady and her Words

I thought I would share another little moment that made a difference in my day. If you don't already know, I work part-time as a support person for a 15-year-old boy with autism. Most days, this job doesn't feel much like work. I get to pick him up from home, and try to have a good time whether this imeans going for walks outside, riding the city bus (something he loves) or paying the children's museum a visit. As I say this, however,there are also days where the responsibility of dealing with his severe autism challenge me. Yesterday was one of these days.

I won't get into the details...but suffice it to say that after struggling for nearly 45 minutes, I finally managed to deal with a difficult situation. As the two of us (the boy I work with and I) began to pack our belongings and head for the car, an elder lady approached me and said, "you are a good girl, God bless you." I am not sure how much of my struggle she witnessed, but after it was all over her words and kind smile were so reassuring and comforting.

So, even though she'll never know (because at the time I was speechless and let her walk away without more than a smile in return), I am thankful for that lady and her words.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, you are a good girl =) The girls in the orphanage will absolutely love you.

    ReplyDelete