Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Feeling More Acquainted

Yesterday was a beautiful and hot day. After tutorial, four girls and I had a basketball session with four other Ukrainian boys. They were really good and we looked like idiots...but they were also very nice and passed the ball to us a lot which made it fun. I even scored two shots for my team!

Last night I got home to find that Luba had made me what looked like milk soup with noodles. It was a very weird taste and the entire time I was eating I wasn't sure if I really liked it or not. Lucky for me though, I got to experience the entire process again for breakfast. Either way, Luba knew I liked milk and made it specifically for me thinking I would love it...so I am sure I will see the meal again.

Also, Tanya managed to get me some English movies on DVD. I thought it was SO generous of her and I already watched one last night called the Ron Clark Story. She also found Autumn in New York, and Ice Age. Today she said she would bring home more for me as well. I think she knows a guy who downloads and burns them for her, I am very grateful.

The two of us also made a trip to a supermarket I hadn't visited yet which is very close to our aprtment. It was nice to find because it seems to have pretty decent selection. I am so happy to enjoy the company of my host family so much and to feel so welcome by them.

On a sadder note, one of our group members who has been ill since his arrival in Ukraine has just visited us at the University today to say he is catching the first plane back to Canada. The doctors here told him yesterday that he had appendicitis and needed his appendix removed today, but when he showed up for his operation they said he was perfectly fine. To make sure he gets proper healthcare though, he will return to Saskatoon. we were all sad to see him go (but probably not as disappointed as he was) and hope he gets better soon!

Today I think another art lesson is in store...more wax dropping Ukrainian eggs I believe. hopefully I will be good enough by our third try that I can make something beautiful. Also coming soon is our excursion to the caves and possibly elsewhere this Saturday!

Things seem to feel more normal here as I settle into a decent routine. I know this again will change as I make the transition from studying at the University to working at teh internat, but even being familiar with my surroundings is a comforting prospect. Each day I am better versed in the Ukrainian language...and all of this seems to affirm that right now I am meant to be here. I am so grateful for all of your comments and continued support, it really makes the world of a difference.

Also, I am reminded of a quote that was spray-painted on the side-walk in front of an apartment building near my own which read: "To the world you may be one person...but to one person, you may be the world"

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling more acquainted now and you're so welcomed by your family...have a great weekend and can't wait to read your next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to be reading that second last paragraph. That you are happy and adjusting is good to know fo' sho!
    Adore you. Be safe.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete