Monday, May 18, 2009

Touring Ternopil!

Today I woke up and went to church with Luba and Sacha. The church is right by my house. It was soooo confusing. Mass was 1.5 hours long and while it was Catholic they don’t do a lot of what we would do in a Catholic mass. They do the sign of the cross differently, and they also sign the cross about 1000 times in one mass. I felt like an idiot because only certain people sign at certain times and I was just going it at it the whole mass long. Luba and Sacha kept laughing at me…and then explained it to Slaveek and Tanya afterward. Also, there are only enough seats for a few people and the rest of them just crowds in and stands the whole time. Not everyone got communion, but everyone waited in the really long line to kiss a few books/ pictures of Jesus…maybe one was the bible but they were all in glass cases and I couldn’t tell. I felt really weird kissing them especially with all kinds of lipstick all over the glass) so I just bent down and kissed the air close to it. Also, they sing the whole mass through. Only the announcements at the end of mass weren’t sung.

Anyway, by the time mass was over at 11:30, I had to race home and catch the first bus I could back into downtown to meet the group in the centre for 12. Of course I was late and everybody was waiting for me. We went to the museum right away, which showed the history of the Ternopil area. It was pretty interesting and they had a lot of displays, but I think I would have gotten more out of it had it been translated to us in English. Luckily our tutors explained bits and pieces along the way. The group then went to a Ukrainian restaurant and ate. It was our choice what to do next, and because I felt like I had spent so much time away from my host family already I came home right away.

I got home to find no one, so I napped until they came back. We were preparing all kinds of food and I wasn’t sure why…then realized company was coming over. I was hoping to steal away, read and write some blog/ letters on my laptop to make computer time tomorrow more productive…but because I didn’t know how to politely excuse myself I spent the best part of 5 hours sitting at a table listening to jargon and thinking about how I just wanted alone time. It was a little frustrating but more than anything I just wish I could get my 8 hours of sleep tonight.
My host family also let me cut green onions today, and help serving the meal. Luba seemed really proud of me in front of her guests, and the whole family is warming up to me. Luba and Tanya now regularly hug me, and Luba likes to play with my hair.

Yesterday didn’t quite go the way we thought it might either. Apparently last years group overdid the drinking while here and in caution the course instructor asked the tutors to have us home by 11 for the first night. This hindered our plans to dance and go to the discotek so we ended up going to another place called Koza (goat) where we watched belly-dancing and sat around a table and talked. ALSO the rock concert that we were supposed to go to tomorrow night was ACTUALLY tonight. Only two people from the group ended up still going with the tutor tonight.

Another funny story…while we were walking around Ternopil, our tutors were pointing out the different attractions. When we got to the lake the tutor pointed across from us and said, “many people go there to see the wild bitch.” Of course we were all shocked assuming some crazy lady lived across the way….but it turns out that by bitch Michael meant beach. HAHA, we laughed pretty hard and tried to distinguish the difference in sounds for him and then explained what he actually said. He laughed too.

While walking through downtown yesterday the tutors were talking to us about some of the more sad facts about living in Ukraine. Apparently the Soviet government put out a lot of propoganda which has convinced the inhabitants of Ukraine that they are low and must look out for themselves (a good tactic to avoid group resistance against them). He also said that everything he is still completely corrupt. From governemnt to education to business. He also mentioned that everyone tries to occupy themselves with sports and other hobbies to take their minds off of all the crap. He was very politically involved/savy a couple years ago...but found that it dragged him down and has since gotten rid of his radio and television.

ON a brighter note, I was able to purchase a cell phone and call home and Alex. It was nice. I also found out my address and will leave it here for anyone who wants to mail me something!!!

Jessica Vorsteveld
vul. Kulisha 3,28
m. Ternopil
46016
Ukraine

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I finally got through all your entries...and will be able to read them regularly from now on. The "wild bitch" story is so funny. And sounds like every single day involves lots and lots of food...

    ReplyDelete